Policy for Steward-Initiated Adjustment Requests
Change Primary Contact
To change your company’s primary contact information, stewards must provide CSSA with a completed Primary Contact Authorization Form. For more information please contact Steward Services on 1-888-980-9549 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
File a Report
Reporting Checklist – Do you have the following information?
- Types of Designated Packaging and Printed Paper materials that your organization sold or distributed and that are managed in the province’s municipal residential waste system
- Weight and units of the empty Designated Packaging and Printed Paper associated with these products and services and/or the amount sold or distributed
- Businesses supplying between 1,000 to 4,999 kg of Designated Packaging and Printed Paper annually have the option of filing a simplified report and paying a flat fee. Please scroll down to learn more about flat fees for low-volume stewards.
- Understanding of the products and Designated Packaging and Printed Paper materials that are exempted
- Verification of whether your company can apply any deductions to your filing and documentation of these calculations upon request
- The method your organization used to calculate these weights
- The brand names, trademarks and/or publication titles for which you have reported Designated Packaging and Printed Paper
Then submit the completed Steward’s Report with all of the aforementioned information.
Quarterly Payment Schedule:
January 31, 2021
April 30, 2021
July 31, 2021
October 31, 2021
- Deadline to submit a completed Voluntary Steward Agreement is no later than December 1 each year.
- Deadline to cancel your Voluntary Steward Agreement is December 1 each year.
CSSA has also created helpful tips for stewards to assist you in preparing your steward reports. Follow this link to view the Sector Tip Sheets.
Steward List 2021
MMSM maintains a list of registered companies and approved voluntary stewards. Stewards can use this list to identify if their Manitoba based vendors are compliant with the WRAP Act and/or if out of province brand owners have volunteered to become the Obligated Steward on behalf of the First Importer in Manitoba.
A change log is also included below, allowing you to easily identify any changes to last year’s list and reason for the change.
IMPORTANT: if you use this list to check to see if your suppliers are registered you must check the list for every year as not all companies are approved as Voluntary Steward for all years.
Please note that there are a number of stewards that have expressed an interest in registering as a voluntary steward in Manitoba but they require some additional time to complete their Voluntary Steward contracts. For those stewards we are offering an extension of about one week to allow them to complete the process, after which the list will be refreshed.
Please call Steward Services at 1-888-980-9549 if you have any questions about the process.
Are you aware of unregistered stewards?
MMSM welcomes information to identify unregistered stewards. Please check first that the organization is not registered by checking the steward lists above. If an organization appears to be obligated and is not registered, there are two ways you can let us know:
Contact us via email
Or anonymously complete the below form with details about the company you are reporting:
Any person who elects to volunteer to be a Steward of DPPP, which otherwise would be the responsibility of another Steward, shall be deemed a Steward upon execution of a contract with MMSM.
For more information and terms and conditions on becoming a Voluntary Steward, companies should review the Voluntary Steward Agreement.
National Voluntary Steward Policy
To bring further harmonization to packaging and printed paper stewardship programs, a Voluntary Steward Policy has been developed for stewardship programs in British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario.
Flat fee rates for low-volume stewards
Stewards that supply between 1,000 and 4,999 kg of Designated Packaging and Printed Paper material annually have the option of filing a simplified report and paying a flat fee.
This relieves eligible low-volume stewards of the administrative burden of calculating the weights of materials supplied to residents of Manitoba, then filing a detailed report and paying stewardship fees in accordance with MMSM’s material fee rate schedule.
2022 flat fee rates for low-volume stewards will be announced in October 2021 at the Annual Steward Meeting for the following categories:
- Flat fee rate for businesses that supply between 1,000 and 2,499 kg.
- Flat fee rate for businesses that supply between 2,500 and 4,999 kg.
If you believe you qualify for one of the flat fee categories listed above, you can choose the flat fee option when filing your annual report or contact National Steward Services (email@example.com or 1-888-980-9549). Please review the MMSM Terms and Conditions before filing your report.
Please note that businesses supplying more than 5,000 kg annually are required to submit detailed annual reports.
- How do I determine if I am eligible to file a low volume report?
Please review your previous reports to determine if the quantities are within the low-volume range (1,000 to 4,999 kg). If you have any questions or are a new steward, you can contact National Steward Services for assistance: firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-888-980-9549.
- What if I supply less than 1,000 kg?
If you supply less than 1,000 kg in Manitoba, you are still required to register and submit annual reports. Please contact National Steward Services (email@example.com or 1-888-980-9549) for additional information.
- Where can I find the current flat fee rates for low-volume stewards?
The 2022 flat fees will be published in October 2021 within the Report to Stewards. These fees will be based on 2021 reports. MMSM Terms and Conditions (002)
- Are flat fees representative of all material categories? If I choose to pay a flat fee, can I change my reporting option to file a detailed report after the fees are determined?
The flat fee reporting option provides convenience to stewards, with the fee amount calculation based on a representative sample of all materials and fee rates. Once a flat fee report has been filed the MMSM Terms and Conditions prohibit stewards from switching to detailed reports. Please note that flat fee reports are reviewed as part of the normal report verification process but are not eligible for steward-initiated adjustments.